Electronic Prescription Service (EPS)
(Going live on the 19th July 2016)
The Electronic Prescription service gives you the chance to change how your GP sends your prescription to the place you choose to get your medicines or appliances from.
If you collect your repeat prescription from your GP you will not have to visit your GP practice to pick up your paper prescription. Instead, your GP will send it electronically to the place you choose, saving you time.
You will have more choice about where to get your medicines from because they can be collected from a pharmacy near to where you live, work or shop.
You may not have to wait as long at the pharmacy as there will be time for your repeat prescriptions to be ready before you arrive.
Further information on the service can also be obtained by visiting www.hscic.gov.uk/epspatients.
We will be starting to send prescriptions electronically from the 19th July 2016 but prior to that need to collect patients nominations for their preferred pharmacy if they wish to be part of this scheme.
To find out more information as to whether this service is right for you please read the attached leaflet and if appropriate complete and submit the attached nomination form.
Please Click Here to read more information about The Electronic Prescription Service (EPS)
NHS Electronic Prescription Service (EPS)
Patient Nomination Request Form
What is the Electronic Prescription Service (EPS)?
EPS is an NHS-funded service in England. It gives you the chance to change how your GP sends your prescription to the healthcare professional you choose to get your medication or appliances from.
What does this mean for you?
- If you currently collect your repeat prescriptions from your GP, you will not have to visit your GP practice to pick up your paper prescription. Instead, your GP will send it electronically to the pharmacy, saving you time.
- You can choose where to get your medication from because it can be collected from a pharmacy near where you live, work or shop.
- You may also not have to wait as long at the pharmacy as there will be more time for your repeat prescriptions to be prepared
Is this service right for you?
YES – if you have a stable condition and you:
- Don’t want to go to your GP practice every time to collect your repeat prescription
- Collect your medicines from the same place most of the time
- Already use a prescription collection service.
NO – if you:
- Don’t get prescriptions very often
- Pick up your medicines from different places
- Travel or work away from home a lot.
How can you use EPS?
You need to choose where you want your GP to send your electronic prescription. This is called ‘nomination’. You can choose:
- A pharmacy
- A dispensing appliance contractor (if you use one)
- Your dispensing GP practice
Can I change my pharmacy nomination or cancel it and get a paper prescription
Yes you can. Nomination is very flexible and can be changed or cancelled at any time. You can do this by either:
- Asking a member of staff at any pharmacy or dispensing appliance contractor that offers the service
- Asking a member of staff at your GP practice
- Tell them before your prescription is due or your prescription might be sent to the wrong place
- You don’t have to use nomination on every occasion. If you don’t wish to, you should let your GP practice know that you require a paper prescription